The goal of The Vision Alliance is to help implement the goals of the Village / Big Park Community Vision Statement adopted in 2014. The Community Vision effort was originated by the late Dr. Mel Copen during his term as president of the Big Park Regional Coordinating Council, a non-profit organization which represents more than 90% of the residents, businesses and other organizations in the Community.
The Vision Alliance sees itself as a catalyst among and between other Community non-profit organizations, the business community and the residents to find common ground and begin to move forward with concrete plans to implement the Community Vision.
Let us now remember the actual Vision Statement that was adopted.
Our Vision is to inspire stewardship of our natural environment, the Big Park/Village of Oak Creek (‘Community’) and the amenities that enhance the lives of our residents and visitors by:
- Protecting and preserving the pristine beauty of the Red Rock Country surrounding our Community;
- Nurturing a sense of community spirit and citizen involvement by maintaining our small town atmosphere and values;
- Creating a ‘Sense of Place’ through the amenities in our art, educational and culture opportunities and by strengthening and expanding our business community along the Red Rock Scenic Byway, Arizona’s first All American Road;
- Building bridges of communication and cooperation within our Community, the Greater Sedona Area, and other Verde Valley communities, recognizing that our decisions and actions may have an impact throughout the area; and
- Promoting effective law enforcement, access to local healthcare, and a comprehensive transportation infrastructure.
Gateways to the magnificent Red Rocks
Although the Village is one of three important gateways to Sedona’s famous Red Rock Country, it is unincorporated. Therefore, it lacks sources of tax revenue to proceed implementing the Community Vision like an incorporated municipality.
Who we are
The Vision Alliance was created under the umbrella of the Sedona Village Main Street Partnership, a 501(c) (3) charitable organization. Current Vision Alliance Board members are:
- Beverly Kievman Copen (President),
- David H. Gill (Vice President),
- Thomas H. Graham (Secretary/Treasurer),
- Dave Norton and
- Donald Groves.
- we are in the process of adding two more directors.
We are beginning to move forward
- We often work behind the scenes to connect people with:
- other people seeking to make a difference,
- organizations with businesses that want to enhance our Village,
- performers with event coordinators, and more. This is how we act as a catalyst.
- We respond to businesses that want to have a bigger presence in adding excitement and culture to our community. For example, one of our desires is to collaborate and/ or develop a museum for art, art history and/or Native American art. We are excited that The Collective Sedona (formerly Tequa) is becoming a real focal point of our Village.
Last December, 2015, The Vision Alliance collaborated with three outstanding pianists to present a Holiday piano concert in the Hilton Sedona Grand Ballroom (courtesy of the Hilton Sedona Resort at Bell Rock). We worked diligently with the pianists, assisted with coordination, volunteers, and publicity. It was our first “event”, and we were thrilled to have a sold-out performance of over 370 people who attended. We will carefully select future events to maintain the caliber, excitement and uniqueness to bring to our Village venues. Because we are a 501 (c)(3) not-for-profit organization, our part of the sales revenue from this concert went into our treasury, so that we can do more to fulfill our missions and vision with our limited resources.
Board members of The Vision Alliance are devoted Village residents who demonstrate that they want to make a difference. We do not have an organization comprised of many members. We are seeking volunteers who are excited to work with us on special projects. Our SVBA member web page telephone number is (928) 224-8342. Come work with us!
Margaret Mead once stated,
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: Indeed it is the only thing that ever has.”